Friday, November 21, 2008

Some Stories Shared by Family and Friends

Dear all who read this,

Please feel free to write any story you would to share about Cheryl by posting a comment. It can be even a short story so please don't be shy. Also, there is a feature to follow these postings and be updated whenever people put messages here. I have attached a few stories sent via email to me after she passed.


MY NAME IS DIONE HAGEMANN AND I KNEW CHERYL BACK WHEN SHE WAS A FLIGHT ATTENDANT WITH ME AT HAWAIIAN AIRLINES. WE BOTH WERE ROOMMATES IN LOS ANGELES. WE SHARED A ROOM TOGETHER AND WE WOULD ALWLAYS BE LAUGHING UNTIL 12 AM IN THE MORNING. I REALLY LOOKED UP TO HER BECAUSE SHE WAS SUCH A POSITIVE PERSON!!! SHE WOULD TAKE ME AROUND L.A. WITH HER AND WE WOULD HAVE A BLAST!! AND OF COURSE SHE LOVED TO DRINK HER WINE..AND I WOULD JOIN HER TOO!!
THE FUNNIEST MEMORY OF HER WAS WHEN SHE WAS TEACHING ME HOW TO DRIVE HER TRUCK. I DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO DRIVE STANDARD. I JUMPED INTO THE DRIVER SEAT AND TRIED IT. SHE KEPT TELLING ME "THIS IS 1ST GEAR AND THEN 2ND GEAR." I SHIFTED... THEN WE STALLED.. OF COURSE WE WERE LAUGHING!!! I TRIED IT AGAIN AND WE STARTED TO MOVE BUT THE TRUCK STARTED TO JERK TREMENDOUSLY THEN IT STALLED AGAIN. WE LOOKED TO OUR LEFT AND THERE WERE THESE GOOD LOOKING FIREMEN THAT WERE STARING AT US AND WE WERE SOOOO EMBARRASED.. WE LITERALLY PEED OUR PANTS BECAUSE WE WERE LAUGHING SOO HARD!! I WILL NEVER FORGET THAT!!
CHERYL FOUND ME ON MYSPACE AND I WROTE TO HER A FEW TIMES AND SHE TOLD ME THAT SHE HAD A BEAUTIFUL BABY GIRL. I WAS SOOO HAPPY FOR YOU GUYS. I AM REALLY GOING TO MISS HER..... I KNOW THAT SHE IS IN PEACE. PLEASE TAKE CARE AND KISS CEVAN FOR ME!!!

Posted by Dione Hagemann

I first met Cheryl when I was accepting applications for a cocktail server. She came in just to fill out an application. I remember interviewing her and was very impressed with her attitude, not to mention her being attractive but also having a bubbly personality. Needless to say I hired her and my only regret is that she didn’t work with us longer. But someone with the looks, personality and intelligence that Cheryl had is not going to be a waitress for long. I knew she was destined for bigger and better things. It isn’t often you find someone with the whole package. She was not conceited about herself at all. She had so much going for her. I just wanted to let you know that she touched a lot of hearts here. I feel fortunate to have met someone like Cheryl in my lifetime. She wasn’t just another employee but we became friends also. I would always try to give her advice because I knew she was someone that had a lot going for her. She worked at John Dominis at a time when everyone had fun together. I hope you and your daughter find the strength to carry on. It is tragic that your daughter will not grow up with her mother. But I know you will make sure Cheryl’s spirit lives on.

Sincerely yours,

Randy Kong
She worked with me at John Dominis. I remember when she started, she was still in school a driving her Miss Hawaii car. She was somewhat embarrassed by that and didn't want to make a big deal about it. She was practical, smart and funny, we shared many laughs together. Even after she left JD's she kept in touch. She will be greatly missed. She may be gone but she'll never be forgotten. Please take care.

Aloha, Bobbie Maurer
John Dominis


Im a friend of Cheryls from Hawaiian Airlines. (Im Plain Jane on her Myspace) We haven't been in touch in a while and I have so many people on the Myspace page I dont check it anymore...Her old roommate (from flying in LA a while back) just told me the sad news. Im so sorry. I hope you are hanging in there. I wish I had something I could say or do for you all.

Cheryl was so kind to me- I had no car in LA and she always let me use her little truck when she left town. I used to stay over with the girls (in Redondo) a lot too. We had some great times walking together on the Boardwalk as well. Some great talks then too! She was so lovely in every way- caring, thoughtful, fun and took great care of me in LA. So I just wanted to share that with you.

If you are planning anything here, please let me know- and/or please keep in touch. Thanks.
Sending you all my Love and Aloha...
---Crystal

I have known Cheryl since kindergarten and she was sweet as ever. We remained friends in grade school at August Ahrens Elementary and hung out after school. We were practically neighbors as she lived down the street back then and I would let her ride my bike. Of course, she would ding my bike terribly, but we were friends true and true. I am going to miss her. I remember her smile, incessant talking and laughter! She loved her brother very much as she would talk about "Junior." I remember him too. I used to call her mom "Auntie" as she was friends with my mother.

Shirley Salcedo
Childhood friend of Cheryl's

5 comments:

GBMbattle said...

Written by Melony Battenberg

Dearest Evan, Cevan, & Cheryl (always in my heart)

With my deepest regrets and apologies for not being there for you all. I still have a hard time believing that Cheryl is no longer here. I keep hoping (she’ll call me and say “hey, kasinsin, (cousin) how are you doing in North Carolina!” I miss hearing her voice over the phone and laughing and talking about how our lives are doing.

I was talking to my mother the other day and we were recalling how much we miss Cheryl and talked about our fondest memories. Cheryl is like a sister to me because she and I were born 10 days apart. For as long as I remember, as children we did a lot together. Cheryl and I never had any disagreements or arguments. She and I always got along. From having sleep-overs, being in band-class, living with her in San Diego, and she helping with me with my wedding. I have so many, many wonderful and fun memories. She was an awesome, loving, and very giving person.

Evan, my mother talks very highly of you. Cheryl was very lucky to have you in her life and I am so glad she found you and fell in love. You are an awesome husband and I know you are and will be the best and greatest father to Cevan. I have faith, love, and hope in you and Cevan that God will give you the strength and peace. Cheryl told me how awesome you are and I might add “the cutest guy she ever met” I hope to meet you and Cevan very soon. I wish we lived closer that it would be easier for me and my family.

Thank you so much for all that you are and for loving and supporting Cheryl through her battle. Even though we have not met, I just want to let you know that I’m here for you and I hope someday to meet you and Cevan. Please keep in touch with me, send pictures of Cevan, even through email.

With all my love,

Melony

GBMbattle said...

Written by Kim Paine

I just heard the about the loss of one of the most beautiful (inside and out) and memorable people I have ever met, your wife, Cheryl. I cannot express my sadness. There are no words to describe it.

I met Cheryl in 2004 through business and she treated me as a friend from the moment I met her. We were friends through business, you could say. Immediately, I was drawn to her as I knew from our first meeting she was “good people”. We all know those people when we meet them . They are genuine in all they do and say….they care immensely about others… they don’t sweat the small stuff ….they find humor in situations when others find frustration….they do not have a bad bone in their body. Those “good people” are hard to come by and Cheryl is one I will never forget. We barely knew each other and she would call me about business and 45 minutes later she knew all the details of my “dating life” and I heard all about her personal life … her “new man” Evan and about her mom and family. We just seemed to be friends naturally. I can’t help to think that I was not “special”. I am certain I was one of many that shared this unknown connection with Cheryl. She was simply someone you wanted to be around and have as a friend. She was one of a kind.

I find a great sadness that I lost touch with Cheryl after your wedding and never knew of her cancer. I know from reading your blog you are an amazing man and father and will be a pillar of strength for Cevan.

I found a few pictures of Cheryl that I think highlight her inner beauty … you can see it in her smile. You can see it in her laugh. (These were on a fam trip in Hawaii, Aug 2006)

Evan, although I only met you once (you probably don’t remember…..it was on New Year’s Eve at a friend of mine, Cami Barker, in San Francisco. I bumped into Cheryl and was shocked as I was up visiting a friend and did not expect to know anyone) you will always be in my thoughts and prayers along with Cheryl and Cevan. I will never forget Cheryl, ever.

You are an amazing man, Evan, and I cannot imagine what life has been like for you for the past year and half. I wish I knew of Cheryl’s cancer and wish I could have helped in any possible way. I hope you can stay strong and know that your beautiful daughter will house the spirit of Cheryl.

Evan, I mean this in all sincerity, if I can ever help you in any way, shape or form now or in the years to come – please reach out to me. I can see from photos you have a lot of friends and family but I hope you will keep my email and contact information available. I would be honored to babysit if you needed a weekend away or do anything to help you, if there are unsettled matters in San Diego. Please reach out.

I hope you can stay strong and can find peace in Cheryl’s memories and in your wonderful creation, Cevan. I am sure she is what keeps you going every day….

On a side note, I will be attending the SITE So Cal luncheon next week. I know Cheryl was an active member in SITE. Will you be attending this event? As this is where I learned of Cheryl’s passing… in the SITE brochure.


Deepest sympathy, Kim Paine

GeoKooL said...

I just found out and am deeply sadden by your loss. The last time I saw Cheryl was by chance at Las Vegas Int'l airport in 2005. We were waiting at the same gate concourse. What was funny is that she kept passing me and I finaly said, "Cheryl". She answered, "Patrick".

She was the same person I remembered back in the day in Waipahu. My deepest sympathy to you and all your family for your loss. Aloha.

Sincerely,

Patrick Galamay

GBMbattle said...

Written by Erika & Joe Oliver

Dear Cevan,

Our names are Erika & Joe Oliver. We live in Santa Fe New Mexico, I'm the mother of Adrienne Abel. Adrienne worked with your mother Cheryl at Southern Wine & Spirit in Honolulu, Hawaii. and there is where we met your mother. She invited us to her house for dinner. She picked me up from the airport. Cevan, your mother truly a very special person. My husband and I were stunned when we learned that God needed your mother in his home and took her. We are sending you some dolls for you to play with. Smile big smiles for your daddy and tell him everything will be alright. We wish you both a Merry Christmas.

Erika & Joe Oliver

GBMbattle said...

Written by Teresa Sakurada

I am so very sorry for you & Cevan's loss. I knew Cheryl when she was a member of a Chapter of ABWA. Cheryl was VP the year I was president. She chaired two wine tasting events that raised thousands of dollars for the chapter and its scholarship fund. Cheryl also was the Chapter Woman of the Year in 2004 and has been elected President but declined as she received a great offer for the Hawaii Visitor and Convention Bureau. She was smart, kind, hard working and friendly. She lit up the room with her energy and smile. I learned a lot from her and was so sorry to hear about her passing.

With Aloha,

Teresa